Monday, November 24, 2014

Hobo Candy Cane Tutorial











Hello there!   Good ol' Monday is here again!  It is my day here on the RRR blog.   I thought I would share what I call "hobo" candy canes.   I was laying in bed a couple of weeks ago...not able to sleep. - which is a typical occurrence for me.  All of the sudden it dawned on me that I had to try using the 2 1/2 inch cotton blend ribbon with my pipe cleaners to create some shabby candy canes.  I kid you not.  That is how my brain works.  Anyway, the next day I ripped up my ribbons into narrower strips and tried winding them with the pipe cleaner.  I really thought they turned out cute.  Shabby and ragamuffinish (I know, not a real word).  So I decided to call them hobo candy canes.  I love how the threads are everywhere, lots of texture, and very imperfect.

I thought I would share a little step by step with you.  Gather your supplies up.   I also gathered up some little doodads to fancy them up a bit.  I actually tea stained my pipe cleaners for a more aged and prim look before I assembled.  Once you have everything, just gather your red and white stems and cut them in half for smaller to medium candy canes.  Than just simply add a dab of hot glue to one end and wrap your torn ribbon around the white stems.  I loosely wrapped because I wanted to still see a bit of the pipe cleaner.  Then from there, just wrap that stem around your red.  Once you are done shape into your candy cane shape.

As you can see I made quite a few and glittered some up.  Another one I simply gussied up with some lipstick red seam binding, a snowflake, and a faux berry.  I am going to add a bunch to a Christmas bowl this year for decoration.  I also shared a pic of some that I added to a Christmas scrap book cover.   They would also look adorable tied to packages or on the tree all over!   I am thinking I might try another ribbon next time....maybe a lace of some sort.  

Well hope you enjoy!  hugs, Cherry

3 comments :

  1. THEY LOOK FAB, GREAT IDEA, WHY DO THESE IDEAS COME TO US IN BED?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the best ideas come when we try to relax...these are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say